Home Forums Brand Theme Customize 404 Page & Link

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  brand 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cahlean Klenke
    Participant

Hello!

Is there a way to customize the 404 Page Not Found? Is there a way to customize the link for the 404 Page?

I’m part of a blog circle and when I post the link for the blog before its published, it looks like its a weird version of my logo (white on white in this case) and just says page not found. I’d like it to have more information or at least look “pretty”.

Any help & direction is appreciated.

brand
    Keymaster

Hi Cahlean,
    Could you show me a screenshot or give me a url to take a look at that page?

Cahlean Klenke
    Participant

Hello!

I’m attaching two screenshots, one is when the unpublished page or post’s link is put on Facebook. I’d like to be able to change the icon as well as what the 404 information says. This is what I’d ideally like to have the ability to customize.
    Screenshot of 404 with link on Facebook

The other screenshot is of the 404 page on the website. It functions and looks fine, just could use a little pizzazz.
    Screenshot of 404 page on website

My website is: http://aboutadogphoto.com

brand
    Keymaster

Hi Cahlean,
    Facebook uses the title meta tag, and page not found is the standard meta tag for a 404 error. It uses also the only image that it founds in the page, your logo. It’s white, so it looks weirds on a white background.

You can customize that page changing the 404.php file in the theme directory, adding an image to choose when you publish your post on Facebook, for example.
    You can change the title tag using this code snippet in your functions.php:

function your_custom_title( $title ) {
    	if( is_404() ) {
    		$title = 'Your custom title goes here';
    	}
    	return $title;
    }
    add_filter( 'pre_get_document_title', 'your_custom_title' );
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.